WRITING SEMINARS FOR TV, FILM AND NOVEL WRITERS
- FICTIONALIZING YOUR TRUTH IN YOUR WRITING
When you come from a place of emotional truth in your writing and add fiction to it in your story, you connect with your audience. I will go through how to take inventory of your history and identify your universal life moments through looking at your dilemmas, your failures and your successes. After taking the time to mine your creative well, you will find your gold.
- HOW TO WRITE TV SPEC & PILOT SCRIPTS
Understanding what producers and executives are looking for in a TV spec and pilot script will help participants to be ten steps ahead. In this presentation, I will go over all the story components for telling the one-hour drama and half hour sitcom stories. With experience in staffing over 15 primetime shows, I will reveal secrets from the executive side and guide you to utilize your voice in your story as a way to help your TV spec/pilot scripts rise to the top of the stack.
- STAFFING AND DEVELOPMENT SEASON | HOW TO GEAR UP FOR IT
This presentation gives you a insider’s perspective on the business of staffing and development. I will share a look at the studio executive perspective of staffing for television and what it takes to be a working writer. Learn to develop the pilot script by looking at what works in other pilots that have succeeded and how you can apply the same story techniques to your writing. By applying certain tools, you will learn what it takes to get staffed and sell your script.
- FINDING YOUR VOICE
This presentation can be applied toward TV, Film, and novels. By understanding how to find and utilize your voice, you will learn what it takes to set you apart from the masses. By understanding what in your story makes you unique, you will learn how to draw from this emotional truth leading you to your destiny.
- SCRIPT WRITING | THE FEATURE SCRIPT
Learn some of the secrets to telling strong stories from the studio executive perspective. In this presentation, I will go over the 7 components that will make your feature script sell:
- Creating Empathy For Your Central Character
- Contrasting Worlds
- Creating a Powerful Dilemma
- Having a Strong Goal Stem From Your Dilemma
- Building Obstacles
- Writing a Memorable Mid-Point and All Is Lost Moment That Connect Back To The Goal
- Theme, Symbolism, MessageI will show you how to make your audience FEEL your story. I believe that writing is a practice. You have to return to it everyday and put in the time to create a great story
- SCRIPT WRITING | STORY TOOLS (TV & FILM SCRIPTS)
After analyzing stories for 19 years, 12 years as a studio executive, I will show you the tools I learned over my career from some of the top storytellers in the business.
- Starting your story with a powerful dilemma
- Stemming a strong and clear goal from your dilemma
- Connecting all your pivotal story points back to your goal
- How to find your voice in your story
- Writing powerful and memorable log lines
- Adding messages, theme and symbolism
- HOW TO GIVE A WINNING SCRIPT PITCH
In this presentation, I will share my formula about how to give a winning pitch that will connect you to your audience and increase your chances of a sale. We will go over the tools that will make your script pitch stand out and show you how to deliver it with the confidence and passion that it takes to make a sale.
- HOW YOUR STORY CAN LEAD TO YOUR SUCCESS
Knowing how to tell your story can be pivotal in the success of your career as a writer for TV scripts, feature films or novels. In this presentation, I go through a series of story tools and secrets that will help you to understand how to best tell certain parts of your story in specific situations as a way to sell and connect consumers to your business.
Jen’s talks reflect her 19 years in business and in telling story. They are fast moving, informative, anecdote driven and entertaining. Jen specially designs and customizes each talk for the particular audience. She presents a series of strategies, formulas and exercises to get you where you want to go with a combination of fact, stories, insights and interpretations that audience members can apply immediately to get better results.
Jen has spoken at the WGA, TV Writers Summit, TV Writers Studio, TV/Film Summit, The Story Expo, Screenwriters World Conference, The Screenwriting Expo, The Great American Pitchfest, The Writer’s Store, The Scriptwriter’s Network, The Northwestern Screenwriter’s Guild, Alameda Writers Group, UCLA (guest speaker) and USC (guest speaker). She has served on panels for the WGA, iTVFest, UFVA and The Writer’s Bootcamp.
Rates vary on the length of the talk. For solo speaking engagements, please contact Amie Yavor at CAA. You can go through my speaker page.
If you are interested in booking the TV Writers Summit, please contact Derek Christopher at firstname.lastname@example.org.