THE WRITERS STORE PANEL
FINDING YOUR VOICE IN STORY: A PANEL DISCUSSION ON WRITING
UNFORGETTABLE CHARACTERS FOR THE BIG AND SMALL SCREEN
WHEN: THURSDAY, MARCH 3, 2011
WHERE: THE WRITERS STORE
3510 W Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA 91505
TIME: 6:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
AT A GLANCE
- A three-person panel comprised of Hollywood writers and executives behind movies and TV series offer insight and guidance on creating compelling characters.
- Explains how to use your own experience as a guide for writing complex and believable characters.
- Offers guidance for writing compelling female characters.
Great characters are at the heart of great movies and television. This
panel of successful executives and writers will share their secrets
for writing unforgettable characters. They will discuss how to write
strong characters for the big and small screen; how to find your voice
in your writing; how to write strong female characters; How strong
female leads have done well on big screen and small screen; Writing
from within: How looking at your own experiences can help you create
compelling onscreen characters.
- You and your fellow attendees will have an opportunity to ask
questions and discuss characters you are developing with them.
- Jen Grisanti is the author of STORY LINE: FINDING GOLD IN YOUR LIFE
Story, Blogger for The Huffington Post, Writing Instructor for NBCs
Writers on the Verge and a sought-after consultant and former studio
executive who covered Medium, Girlfriends, The 4400, Numbers, Melrose
Place, Beverly Hills 90210, Charmed and many other hit series.
Screenwriter and WGA member
- Diane Drake’s screenwriting credits include What Women Want starring Mel Gibson, and Only You, directed by Norman Jewison, with Robert Downey, Jr. and Marisa Tomei.
- Pilar Alessandra is the director of the Los Angeles writing program “On the
Page, Inc.®.” She’s worked as Senior Story Analyst for DreamWorks and
Radar Pictures and covered additional projects at ImageMovers,
Saturday Night Live Studios and The Robert Evans Company. She’s
trained writers at ABC/Disney, MTV/Nickelodeon, the National Screen
Institute, the Los Angeles Film School, The UCLA Writers Program and
- Moderator – Laura Brennan is a writer and consultant with credits
that span theater, news, television, features, print, and the Web.
With her own production company, Mama Makes Movies, Laura co-created
and produced the webseries Faux Baby and is currently writing and
producing branded content for Fortune 500 companies.
- Jen Grisanti will sign her new book, Story Line: Finding Gold in Your
Life Story after the panel discussion.